Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ponderings from the Studio...A Work In Progress

I'm in the studio today with my brush on the canvas of a painting in progress.  I thought about working today on a furniture project so that I would have a 'reveal' to post on my favorite blog linky parties,  but ehh....I just don't feel like it.  Ahh....  Since I took a break in August from blogging, I have found such a renewed sense of who I am and what I should be doing.  To hell with killing myself on projects and posting them in order to 'market' The Homeless Finch!!!  (I'm sure that I will feel differently tomorrow and will beat myself about not working on the furniture piece. *wink*)

As this painting is developing, I am seeing themes that my work use to address years ago cropping back up within the content of my strokes.  This interests me.  The 'why' I use a color or 'why' I paint an image is on my mind today.  I don't source my images from anywhere concrete, but my from memories and my emotional feelings at the time I mix a color.  I feel most comfortable working that way.  I like not questioning a choice in the moment.  It feels right.  I got with it.

I think this applies to so many areas of our lives.  Sometimes, it is just more real and right to go with our gut reactions and feelings regarding decisions.  Over thinking anything just seems to muddy it and kill the energy.  Of course, we can't go through life, not thinking.  I don't completely throw caution to the wind in life or my paintings.  Or do I?  I do let my spirit carry me in directions that I feel passionate about.  If that is a mistake, I feel confident that I can live with the results.  That's my philosophy.  It's who I am and at 47 years old, I don't think it's changing. 


What's your philosophy?  Are you a 'throw caution to the wind' person, or a 'I have to cover every angle with research and well thought out plans?'  Many people fall somewhere in the middle.  I don't.....and I'm okay with that.

-The End-
Linking to:


27 comments:

Unknown said...

first of all I love the painting ..I felt like I could be that person in the painting..that is sort of how I feel right now. It is so amazing...and thanks for visiting my blog and your understanding words. I am not "aloud" to be too loud ! that made me giggle when I saw what I had typed. funny isn't it. but your right..some people just won't let us speak our art or let us grow or enjoy it...they seek to control it all. The reason I hate the arts council. they think they know what is best for everyone. I don't usually rant and moan about this stuff, really
Thanks for listening
KAT

Grammy Goodwill said...

Probably a throw caution to the wind person. I admire your ability as I can't paint at all.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I'm somewhere in between. I *want* to be more of a planner, but the impatient side of me wins too often, and I just go with the flow. I'm glad you're following your bliss!

Mary C. Nasserr said...

Love the rhythm and movement in this painting!
Poetic and beautiful!!
~Mary

KWalter said...

Lesley--you are the Queen of bloggers and I love your blog--I am not that devoted to it---

KWalter said...

Why is it so difficult to pot a comment??/

Unknown said...

I forgot to say I am a throw caution to the wild winds...person...it is risky..but that is the fun of it...I would do art no other way...even though I have some techniques I use like masking tape ...I think that is just so I can be more free in painting in the background and not losing my main idea...because i would

KAT Griffin

Unknown said...

Hi Lesley....so enjoyed your take on what the world expects of you. I have always marched to my own drummer and some think me a bit crazy and other's think ne eccentric, but I simply think I'm lightyears ahead of them all :)

Carol McKenna said...

Love your painting, love your post ~ and I paint from 'my muse spirit' and am trying to honor my style and not compare myself ~ and I need to be me ~ no one else ~ thanks for reminding me ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) and Happy PPF ^_^

Netty said...

Loving your free spirit. Happy PPF, Annette x

WrightStuff said...

Where angels fear to tread!

The gut feel is definitely my style too :)

Lilac & Lavender said...

I enjoyed this post, as well as your painting... I am definitely an 'in-between' person. I liked where you talked about how you merge images together from memories and emotions... I think that's what makes great art :)

Abela said...

I liked your work ... clear thinking is important, but I will say that no matter how old the man is always an evolution (of body and ideas). Saludos

Christine said...

I love your painting and your 'throw caution' approach, maybe because I'm the research type (no fun!)

Karen Isaacson said...

oh my oh my - this painting is amazing. so beautiful.! As for me - I think and think and think and research and think some more until I'm SOOO sick of thinking that I say f-it and THEN throw caution to the wind. (worst of both worlds?)

Unknown said...

okay.
so.
i LOVE the painting.

i love the post.

i'll be coming back because i think you are groovy.

indeed.

xx,
amy

carlarey said...

Love your wavy strokes of color, makes me want to paint bigger.

SHERI COOK said...

Your painting is wonderful. Love the hidden person behind the wind.
As an artist I plan too much. It causes me to stall too much. Sometimes I just wanna be carried away by winds of fancy and go with the flow and see what happens! Happy PPF!

EVA said...

Very cool painting!

I'm probably a bit in between but I'm still learning so I figure that's okay.

Love the flow of this piece.

Yvonne said...

I like to plan things but once I get going I may change all of it and throw caution to the wind. I just mainly have fun with whatever I'm doing.
Lovely painting. Different and that's what I like.

Mary Hysong said...

The painting is great; I am probably somewhere in the middle, tho I follow my instincts about most things and only regret my decisions when I don't. Happy PPF!

Hybrid J said...

Loving the composition and design of your painting ... the layering allow more depth for the work.

Hmm .... I'm the in-betweener ;)

Melisa said...

I love the flow of this one. I like to start with a plan but I'm not a great planner and I don't always follow my plans. I just feel better if I have one, LOL.

Annabelle said...

A very lovely painting.
I'm not sure what I am, definitely eccentric, ooak and always, always looking for the unusual in creative endeavours so maybe a little bit of a fluff in the air when it comes to making art...haha : )

Kristin Dudish said...

Hmmm... I tend to jump in with both feet, then start thinking about it! ha!

This is such an intriguing work-in-progress - I'm so glad you decided to share this with us :)

xo
Kristin

K. said...

I like the flow of movement in this! I'm definitely more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl but it really depends on the task. If it involves driving, I'm a super duper planner!

Geckostone said...

Your painting is fabulous!I love it! Well lets see, in most areas of my life I tend to overthink things to the point of having terrible insomnia,lol. But when it comes to creating I usually just get the general idea or inspiration then start in ( painting , jewelry, or whatever) and just kinda see what developes. I guess thats why it relaxes me to paint because its the one time I'm not brain racing!Happy PPF a bit late! Deb